If you have the misfortune to crack one of your teeth, you are likely to to experience pain. You may only notice it when you try to eat, or you may be more sensitive to hot or cold temperatures. Whatever your symptoms, cracked teeth are not to be ignored, and Cascade Endodontics in Orem can help.
There are different types of cracked teeth:
- Craze lines are tiny cracks in the outer enamel of a tooth. They are a minor issue, since they don’t cause any pain and are very shallow. Craze lines are common in adults.
- Fractured cusp. This is when part of the chewing surface of a tooth breaks off. It often happens around a filling, but doesn’t usually cause much pain.
- Cracked tooth. This is defined by a crack that goes from the chewing surface down toward the root. It’s important to seek treatment quickly in order to save a cracked tooth. These can often be treated with a root canal, but sometimes the tooth must be extracted.
- Split tooth. This often results from a cracked tooth that gets progressively worse. When it happens, the entire tooth can’t be saved, but a portion of a tooth might be salvageable.
- Vertical root fracture. These can go unnoticed for a while, because they don’t always give many symptoms. Vertical root fractures begin in the root and extend up to the chewing surface.
If one or more of your teeth is cracked, it’s important to get treatment as soon as you can. Cascade Endodontics in Orem specializes in cracked teeth and other serious oral issues. Call our office to make an appointment.