After root canal therapy is completed at Cascade Endodontics in Orem, most patients realize that their fear of the procedure was far worse than the procedure itself. This is common. Thanks to modern dentistry, root canals are about like getting a cavity filled – in spite of their fearsome reputations.
Many patients are able to resume their ordinary activities within a few days of root canal treatment. But those few days are important to your recovery, and you should concentrate on rest and relaxation.
The tooth that was treated will probably be a little sensitive for the first few days. When you first get home you’ll probably still be a little numb. We advise you not to eat anything until it wears off, so you don’t accidentaly bite your tongue.
We also recommend the following:
- Ice packs. Swelling is common, so use an ice pack to help reduce it.
- Soft foods. The less chewing you do for the first few days afterward, the better. Choose things like soups, scrambled eggs, and mashed potatoes.
- Don’t smoke. Smokers are strongly advised to avoid tobacco for at least the first few days. That includes vaping. The chemicals in tobacco products can interfere with and even prolong the recovery time.
- Take it easy. This is a good time to binge-watch your favorite programs. You need to be careful about exerting yourself, so don’t exercise for at least a few days.
- Get plenty of sleep. Rest is essential during this period. You can elevate your head with extra pillows to avoid irritation.
Most patients need to have a crown placed over the treated tooth. Once it is placed it may feel funny at first, but you’ll get used to it.
Jon Jenson DDS
1375 E 800 N Ste 203
Orem, UT 84097