Root canals are seen as the end-all-be-all solution to dental infections; a conclusive measure that is supposed to fix the problem immediately and permanently. And, at Cascade Endodontics in Orem UT, this is often the case! However, there are times when a root canal alone is not sufficient to heal the damaged area. This is where the apicoectomy comes in.
What Is An Apicoectomy?
In simple terms, an apicoectomy is a dental treatment wherein your dentist removes inflamed, infected, and swollen gum tissue, as well as the root of the tooth, leaving the top in place. This guarantees an infection- and bacteria-free incision that will heal quickly and have you smiling in no time.
What Should I Expect?
Our team has outlined the steps to an apicoectomy below. Give them a look to prepare for your procedure.
- Before you visit us, try to relax. Play your favorite music on the ride over, or have a friend keep you company. We know a dental emergency can be stressful, and tooth pain requiring an apicoectomy can definitely qualify, but undue stress will only make your procedure more uncomfortable.
- Once you’re here, Dr. Jenson will anesthetize the area around the tooth fully in order to guarantee a pain-free procedure.
- Next, he will make an incision in the gum-line to expose the infected tooth root and any swollen gum tissue around it.
- He will then remove the tip of the root and any damaged tissue.
- After a thorough cleaning and preparation of the root end cavity, our dental team will fill the area with a biocompatible material, preventing further infection.
- Finally, and with some time, the bone and tissue surrounding the area will heal and you’ll feel good as new.
Some patients experience minor discomfort following their procedure, but it often fades quickly. If you’re still feeling nervous, consider our sedation options. They have helped countless people with their dental anxiety. If you need a root canal or another endodontic treatment, Cascade Endodontics in Orem UT can help. Contact us today!