When to Visit an Endodontist

Categories: Toothache

Almost everyone visits a general dentist on a yearly basis, but what is an endodontist and how do you know if you should visit one? An endodontist is a dentist that specializes in the inner workings of the tooth. At least two years of additional schooling are required to know how to diagnose and treat diseases and injuries that affect the dental pulp and nerves in your teeth. If you are feeling severe tooth pain, or have a serious injury or decay in one of your teeth, you would want to visit an endodontist to receive the proper care. Endodontist Dr. Jon Jenson provides root canal treatment and endodontic micro-surgery for patients in Orem, UT and surrounding areas. His expertise in endodontics can preserve your tooth and alleviate tooth pain.

The most common procedure that an endodontist performs is root canal treatment. When a tooth is injured due to decay, tooth trauma, periodontal disease, a cracked tooth or repeated dental procedures, germs are let into the heart of the tooth, causing infection. During root canal treatment, your Orem endodontist will open up the tooth and remove any infection that has infested the tooth. After filling and sealing your tooth, a dental crown will be placed over the top for further protection.

The following symptoms are signs that you may need to see an endodontist to have your teeth assessed:

  • ·Visible tooth injury
  • ·Deep tooth crack that extends beyond the outer tooth layer (enamel)
  • ·Tooth pain
  • ·Swelling on face, neck, or head
  • ·Tooth discoloration
  • ·Gum blisters
  • ·Sensitivity to hot or cold temperature when chewing
  • ·Swelling around the tooth

If you, or someone you know, experiences one or more of the symptoms above, it is in your best interest to contact your Orem endodontist right away. The sooner an infected tooth is treated, the higher the likelihood that the infection will not spread to the bones and surrounding tissues. Endodontist Dr. Jon Jenson will assess your tooth and help you decide which treatment will be most effective.

To schedule an appointment with Orem endodontist Dr. Jon Jenson, call Cascade Endodonticts today at 801-404-5810. We look forward to hearing from you!